Assistant Controller – Sal 150K-200K
Location : Tyson's Corner, VA
Billion privately held firm is seeking an Accounting professional to fill their newly created position of Assistant Controller. Position will report directly to the Chief Accounting Officer. Management has decided they need to upgrade the level of accounting expertise in their department of 30 people. This position will get a good mix of managing people, questioning the way things are done and making changes that build a solid foundation for future growth.
Duties & Responsibilities
Successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Managing & developing members of the accounting department.
- Oversee and perform special projects that arise to analyze existing accounting policy and procedures.
- Help set standards to continue to grow the accounting function towards a typical department you would see in a publicly traded company.
- Help move the company forward to be SOX compliant.
- Grow by assuming increasingly more responsibility to be able to become the firm's next Controller.
Required Background and Experience
Candidates will have all or most of the following credentials:
- Minimum 7 years’ experience with a large Public Accounting firm.
- Additional experience in private industry is preferred.
- BS in Accounting, CPA
- Exposure to SEC clients in Public Accounting and/or experience in working for a SEC traded company.
- Knowledge of SOX requirements.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate well with other department employees.
- Prior experience with special projects. Ability to interpret findings and make and subsequently implement recommendations.
- Ability to understand complex transactions and processes.
- Possess a Positive Attitude. Currently the accounting department has very good morale. They need someone who can continue this atmosphere while questioning existing policies and procedures and the subsequent changes that will be needed.
- Tenacity and attention to detail.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
- Presents a polished image which projects confidence and credibility. Elicits the support and confidence of both accounting and non-accounting staff and management. Is capable of representing well the Accounting function and CFO either as part of a team or alone.
- Ability to effectively communicate with line managers
- Resiliency and can-do attitude when confronted with challenging circumstances. Solid problem solving skills. Ability to persevere and creatively produce acceptable outcomes.
- Relates well to both professional and clerical financial and administrative staff.
- Understands the culture of working in a dynamic closely held company.