Controller – Government Contracting – Sal to 130K plus bonus
Location : Alexandria, Virginia
Government Contractor in NoVA is seeking their initial in-house permanent Controller. Up to now, my client has been using the services of an outside consultant to provide the necessary Controller/CFO services. Past and expected future growth has resulted in the need to bring this function in house. Current annual revenue is 13 million, but is expected to double over the next two years. Position will report directly to the owner who functions as the organizations CEO & President.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated progressive, professional expertise in the federal professional services industry.
- Top Secret clearance or the ability to receive Top Secret clearance.
- Proposal development and pricing expertise.
- Experience with a wide range of automated accounting, financial and management systems.
- Developed skills in the verification and interpretation of financial records and data, and the ability to maintain the security of these financial records and data.
- Extensive experience with one or more products in the Deltek product suite. Because it is anticipated that client will be converting their existing Sage 50 system to a Deltek product, prior conversion experience to a Deltek product is strongly preferred.
- Ability to do the detailed accounting work, but also the ability to “step back” and see the big picture. Company runs efficient and lean. As growth dictates, the Controller will be able to hire underneath, but the new Controller must understand that this is a ”shirt sleeved” management position.
- Prior experience with undergoing and audit by government auditors including those from DCAA.
- Proven experience to function in a sole owner or closely held business.
- Very strong oral and written communication skills.
- BS in Accounting or Business Administration.
- CPA, CMA or Master degree is preferred.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible accounting and financial experience including prior Controllership responsibility.
- Ability over time, as company continues to grow to assume CFO responsibilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform and/or manage the entries, record keeping and reporting for the complete accounting cycle.
- Establish and maintain controls in the areas of: cash management, A/R, A/P, G/L, payroll, financial reporting, budgeting for contracts and projections and forecast.
- Insure that all record keeping complies with the regulations required by the various government agencies.
- Communicate financial results to other members of management as required. This includes historical reporting as well as analysis of variances compared to prior periods, budgets and/or contract performance. Recommend corrective action as needed.
- Insure accuracy of record keeping by conducting internal audits where appropriate and providing required information to outside auditors.
- Evaluate suitability of current accounting systems to meet current and future needs of company. Evaluate the need to convert to higher level software such as Deltek.
- Administer benefit entitlements and payments.
- Oversee cash reserves and investments.
- Attention to detail.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
- Presents an image which projects confidence and credibility.
- Resiliency and can-do attitude when confronted with challenging circumstances.
- Solid problem solving and analytical skills.
- Relates well to both professional and administrative staff. Company prides itself on its working environment and the solid “cohesive community” it has created over the years. The new Controller must “fit in” and continue this tradition by being collaborative and encouraging
Client will only consider candidates who currently live and work in the Washington DC area.