Controller – Nonprofit Only 4 Days per Week to 105K
Location : Washington DC
My client, a DC based Non-Profit organization with assets of approximately $500 million and an annual operating budget of around $5 million is seeking a Controller to assume primary responsibility for the organization’s entire accounting function. This is both a detailed and “big picture” position. Because their systems and procedures are established and in good order, this position is a four day a week job. Successful candidate will report to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer. They are located downtown next to a Metro station. Onsite parking is also available. Depending on Experience, the base compensation will range between 90K-105K plus an outstanding benefits package. Benefits include employer's 12% 401K contribution with immediate vesting and employer contribution of 87% towards Platinum level CareFirst health care program.
Has primary responsibility for the accounting function for the Foundation, which includes responsibility for activities leading to the generation of financial statements, budget preparation and monitoring, and implementing and maintaining appropriate internal controls for the organization. Is primary source of information for independent audit of the Foundation’s financial statements; works closely and productively with independent auditors. Plays a lead role in the preparation of various Federal and State tax returns, working closely with external tax preparation firm.
- Prepares and distributes monthly financial statements; maintains all relevant underlying files and records. Works closely with custodial bank and outsourced chief investment officer firm in accounting for investments.
- Leads the audit process, from planning to report generation.
- Facilitates preparation of all tax returns. Prepares quarterly estimated tax calculations and, after approval, remits appropriate estimated tax payments required.
- Prepares and monitors the annual operating budget, proposing revisions as needed. Calculates monthly cash flow requirements and modifies monthly needs based upon current information.
- Implements and maintains accounting software that follows Foundation work processes; oversees integrity of all accounting software. Also maintains the fixed asset software and related schedules.
- Prepares the Foundation’s payroll and manages the relationship with relevant service providers to ensure that payroll and payroll tax reporting is accurate. Manages all of the Foundation’s disbursements.
- Prepares and submits financial filings, including 1099’s and quarterly census filings and assists with completing other administrative surveys.
- Takes the lead for all other accounting-related activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration; CPA or public accounting experience highly preferred.
- Seven to ten years of relevant accounting experience, including experience with payroll, and accounts payable; year-end closing and audit preparation; Federal and State tax filings. Private foundation experience preferred.
- Proficiency with GP Dynamics accounting software and Microsoft Office. Experience with fixed assets software, Bill.com, and Tallie a plus. Must possess exceptional organization skills and the ability to produce work that is of high quality in terms of accuracy and presentation. Must be detail oriented.
- Good judgment and critical thinking skills; works well as a member of the team while coordinating the work of others participating in certain tasks; cultivates a sense of community; good customer-service orientation; good interpersonal skills; ability to complete tasks in a timely manner. Anticipates needs and ensures they are met with little or no direction. Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, and manage multiple priorities.
- Must exercise the highest level of discretion and confidentiality and have the ability to perform the work necessary to complete the responsibilities of the position; must pass a background check.