Tax Principal/Partner – Salary to 200K plus Bonus
Location : Fairfax, Virginia
My client, a CPA firm in Northern Virginia with 50+ professionals, is in need of a Tax Principal to become a “go to person” for tax expertise in the firm for all areas of taxation including: Wealthy Individuals, S-Corps, Partnerships, Closely held C-Corps. In addition exposure to one or more areas of Estates and Trusts, Non-Profit Organizations, Employee Benefit Plans and Multi State issues is required.
This position is open because of the firm’s growth and the successful candidate will be given a “book of Business” to manage. They are not required to bring business with then upon joining the firm. This should minimize the effect of any non-compete from a prior firm. Obviously any new business brought in would be appropriately rewarded.
This is a Non-Equity position. The compensation will consist of a base up to 200K plus bonus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for assigned individual and business client base. The successful candidate will be assigned a “Book of Business” to manage.
- Performs tax planning, consulting and review, and has the ultimate responsibility for the completion of the tax return for assigned clients.
- Works with clients by understanding their business and industry and providing ongoing advice, insights and support.
- Supports the partner team and assists in the implementation of the practice unit strategy, objectives and budgets.
- Consults and works successfully with other partners to ensure seamless integrated services.
- Become a “go to” resource of technical tax knowledge for the firm.
- Ensures that work papers, tax returns and other correspondence are prepared in accordance with generally accepted professional and firm standards.
- Assumes client service responsibility and recognizes opportunities to provide additional services to existing clients.
- Accountable for the financial performance of an agreed part of the tax department.
- Provides supervision and on-the-job training to staff.
- Develops, supervises and mentors team members by providing training to staff members, delegating tasks, offering guidance and direction, and giving constructive feedback of work papers.
- Assists with the development of staff by participating in recruiting and performance evaluations.
- Prepares and leads internal training sessions as requested.
- Performs partner level administrative functions and meets firm deadlines.
- Enhances expertise in more complex areas of tax and ability to analyze complex matters.
- Continually develops industry expertise.
- Knowledge of the provisions of the Code of Conduct of the AICPA, the regulations governing practice before the IRS, and the Board of Public Accountancy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A minimum of ten to fifteen current years of continuous experience in the public accounting field, including engagement coordination responsibilities.
- A minimum of five years of experience supervising and directing the work of the tax staff.
- Strong technical knowledge in the Internal Revenue Code, Treasury Regulations and other authority.
- Bachelor’s Degree in the field of accounting required – a Master’s Degree in tax preferred.
- Participates in career development programs to improve supervisory, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Licenses and Certificates:
- A current and valid CPA license is required.
- Must be a member in good standing with the AICPA and VSCPA or other State Society.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to operate a computer and calculator and proficient in MS Word, Excel, and internet resources.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and for multiple clients simultaneously.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong organizational skills and attention to detail.